We currently are looking for an Afternoon Head Teacher. See details below.
Afternoon Head Teacher
Gan Shalom seeks an Afternoon Head Teacher. This position starts in August 2018.
An open and inclusive community, Gan Shalom is a Jewish preschool serving families who are affiliated with various Jewish denominations, are secular, or interfaith. Located in central Berkeley, children enjoy a play-based curriculum within a beautiful new building designed and organized according to Reggio Emilia-inspired principles. We are looking for an afternoon head teacher with knowledge in the Reggio Emilia approach and with experience leading an early childhood classroom.
The applicant should have experience in early childhood education, strong leadership skills, be very proactive and creative. Experience in designing and implementing curriculum is preferred. Final candidates need to be prepared for a teaching demonstration.
This full-time position begins in August 2018 and will report to Gan Shalom Director. Our school year begins on August 20, 2018, and goes through June 2018. The tentative schedule for this role is Monday through Friday, from approximately 11:00 to 6:00pm.
We look forward to hearing from you. Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Psychology, Related Fields, or a Child Development Certificate, or 12 ECE units with experience working with children (an applicant with 12 ECE units will be required to complete 12 more units; some financial support will be provided);
- 4+ years experience in the classroom;
- Experience leading a classroom;
- Experience with designing and implementing curriculum;
- Experience in leading afternoon programs preferred.
Required Skills and Pre-requisites
- Knowledge of the Reggio Emilia approach preferred;
- Some familiarity with Jewish culture preferred but not required;
- Creative, inspiring and inspired by the children;
- Leadership skills;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work well as part of a team;
- Commitment to equity, inclusion and diverse community;
- Excellent attendance and punctuality;
- Knowledge of Hebrew is a plus.
- Mentor and lead afternoon program teachers
- Teach in the afternoon program
- Work with Director to implement and create the curriculum
- Upkeep and organise space and materials for the afternoon program
- Lead staff meetings with the afternoon teachers
- Set up and put away equipment and activities when appropriate
Must be qualified to work in the US.
Prior to starting to work and as a condition for employment to comply with the law, all employees must provide documentation to prove eligibility to work in the United States. They also need to provide clearance from the Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation Fingerprint Clearance, a physical exam, provide a copy of a recent TB test and other immunization records.
Pay will depend on qualification and experience